Friday, May 28, 2010

Bug Editing Cookies in Web Developer Extension

Just a quick note I've been meaning to post about a small bug in Chris Pederick's Firefox Web Developer extension. It is a fantastic extension and I use it all the time, especially for working with cookies. Kudos to Mr. Pederick!

Unfortunately, what I noticed is that if you have "accept third-party cookies" unchecked in Firefox's privacy options, you can't edit cookies or add cookies. In fact it ends up deleting the cookies that you try to edit. D'oh!

This bug bit me a few times when I was trying to demonstrate session hijacking while teaching an application security class. This bug is a known issue and I'm hoping Chris can find a way to make it work in the next version. In the meantime, I will keep using the extension and trying to remember to enable third-party cookies whenever I teach the class.